Floors are a crucial part of every home that usually has many rooms. However choosing floors may not be an easy task considering various rooms and their divergent functionalities. Most commonly homes have a living room, dining area, bedroom, kitchen and bathrooms. Each of these rooms have different utilities, hence ought to have suitable floors as well. If you are choosing wooden floors for your home, you need to keep in mind a few factors like:
- Your budget and how much you are willing to spend
- Understand a room’s requirement and choose floors accordingly
- Opt for floors that match with the remaining decor of the room
- Hire professional services for installation and perfect finish
- Lifestyle, number and age of members of the house, pets, etc.
Let us now talk about how to choose floors for each room.
- Living room and dining areas: These are formal areas of a home that have a solemn look and feel to it. Dark colors with carpets and formal seating arrangements make up these areas of a home. This is also an area where guests are entertained over formal settings and sit down meals. These spaces are usually done up in formal colors replete with carpets and artifacts. Dark colored floors usually complement the formal ambience of such rooms. However, dark floors also make a room appear smaller so it is important to keep this mind before choosing one.
- Bedrooms and family rooms: These are the most commonly used rooms of every house. Considering the high amount of traffic and exposure to spillages, it is important to opt for durable floors for these rooms. Also opting for high maintenance floors for these rooms will not work well as these floors are more prone to dirt and need to be cleaned often.
- Entrance, foyer or hallway: These are again high traffic areas that lead into the inside of the house. High footfall and shoe abuse is unavoidable for these spaces. The choice of floor need not be very formal but should be warm, welcoming and durable.
- Kitchens and bathrooms: Durability should be the top most consideration for floors in these areas as they are exposed to moisture, heat, humidity, spillages, etc. Easy maintenance is another factor that should be kept in mind while choosing hardwood floors for these spaces. However, the chosen floors should also match with the overall decor of the house.
Keeping these factors in mind shall help you pick the appropriate hardwood flooring for the right room. Whatever floor you choose, it is vital to include a regular maintenance regime for your floors so as to make them last longer and keep them looking new so that your investment in floors reaps long term returns.